Episode #81: Ancestors and Descendants: Weaving and Sculpting the throughline with Artists Alexandra Rutsch-Brock and Traci Johnson
Today we welcome two amazing artists, Alexandra Rutsch-Brock and Traci Johnson. Their artworks will be featured in Sensing Woman 2022 an upcoming week-long benefit for the Center of Reproductive Rights and Center for Intimacy Justice in Chelsea, New York.
Alexandra Rutsch-Brock is an artist, independent curator and educator. Born in Westchester, NY, she received her BFA in Fine Art & Art Education K-12 from the School of Visual Arts, NY and her MS in Studio Art from the College of New Rochelle, NY. She has been teaching at New Rochelle High School since 1991. Her work directly relates to her life experiences. These include relationships, conception, pregnancy, birth, deaths and illness.
Traci Johnson was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. She specializes in textile design, installation and sculpture. She has shown at numerous galleries including Art Port Kingston , Sweet Lorraine Gallery, Micheal David & Co, Museum at FIT and F.I.T. Art & Design Gallery. She is a graduate of the Fashion Institute of Technology majoring in Fine Arts with a minor in Art History. Her concepts are driven by mental health, art and fashion as therapy subcultures. Johnson creates a healing space for themselves and others within their work, essentially a safe space
In this episode, we cover:
Part 1 (Alexandra Rutsch-Brock)
- Her inspiration behind GGG: Gold Girl Gang
- Growing up in a feminist household
- Alexi’s upcoming pieces and art shows
- On experiencing the empty nesting
- Thoughts on sisterhood
- Students today and social media
- On Creating GGG
Part 2 (Traci Johnson)
- Getting to know Traci
- The process of making the rugs
- Her Inspirations for her artwork
- Who is Kailuaa?
- In honoring her lineage
- Spiritual relationship
- Starting a dialogue on women’s health
- Alexandra Rutsch-Brock - Check out her artworks for sale at the Sensing Woman 2022. Follow her on Instagram @spiralarb
- Legitimate Vagina
- Hanna Wilke
- Among Friends
- Spectrum - a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood
- Nasty Woman Connecticut Exhibition
- Traci Johnson - Check out her artworks for sale at the Sensing Woman 2022. Follow her on Instagram @kailuaa
- We would like to invite you to Sensing Woman 2022, a week-long event that will be held from the 27th of September to the 1st of October at the C24 Gallery in Chelsea, New York City. We will be bringing together groundbreaking artists, provocative speakers, and celebratory experiences with a mission to accelerate equality and liberation for women. This event is founded by Rosebud Woman’s Christine Marie Mason, and with WoArt’s Founder Christina Massey, curator for this event.
- View the complete list of Presenters, Artists, Schedule and Artworks for Sale in Sensing Woman 2022.
- Sundari Gardens - a 10-Acre farm and intentional community in lower Puna.
- Find Rosebud Woman on Instagram as @rosebudwoman, Christine on Instagram as @the.rose.woman, and on Tiktok as @therosewoman108.
Listen, Like, Share & Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Youtube