A mind-blowing conversation on reproductive tech, how it’s already changed us and what’s on the horizon, with Rachel Lehman Haupt. A rise in the age of motherhood, an explosion in single parent families and sci-fi level realities in repro tech are changing our options. Technologies like egg freezing, in vitro fertilization, the use of donor eggs, 3-parent embryos, external wombs...and even the option to become a “DIY mom”.
In this Episode, we cover:
- Changes in parenting in today’s society, especially in motherhood.
- Inclusions and refinements that need to be done in current government policies and childcare systems.
- Rachel’s story and her “Modern Family”
- Rachel’s on her forthcoming book, “Reconceptions: A Story of Love, Science and the Future of Family”
- Current Reproductive Technologies - The collaboration with Science and drawing the line for human reproduction
- Future of incubators, artificial wombs and data on today’s childbirth
- Multiple roles as a parent in our children’s life
- Some terminologies to learn:
-Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
-In vitro fertilization (IVF)
-In vitro gametogenesis (IVG)
Rachel Lehmann-Haupt’s Forthcoming book:
Seven years after raising her son as a single mother by choice, Lehmann-Haupt decides to meet her son’s “dosies,” or donor siblings, and their parents. Reconceptions: A Story of Love, Science and the Future of Family, tells the story of the relationships she and her son form with this modern tribe of mothers and DNA siblings while at times she meets and tells the intimate stories of other new families shapes and the reproductive technologies shaping the future of family.
- The Art and Science Family newsletter - about leading edge scientific research on the changing shape and nature of modern family planning | Sign-up HERE
- StoryMade Studio - focuses on developing and marketing digital stories for health brands
- To get updates on Rachel’s forthcoming book, Reconceptions: A Story of Love, Science and the Future of Family that will be published on 2022, Visit and Like her Facebook Group
- In Her Own Sweet Time: Egg Freezing and the New Frontiers of Family book by Rachel Lehmann-Haupt
- Jane Metcalfe’s Neo.Life - Get the book: a collection of 25 essays, interviews, and works of fiction and art offering a big-picture perspective on the profound changes made possible by the merging of biology and technology.
- A Womb with a View - article by Rachel Lehmann-Haupt on Neo.life
- Follow Rachel on Instagram
- Should I freeze my eggs?
- Perineal Massage and the New Mom: Let's Talk About Everything
- Listening Within, Self-Care, Birth Equity and More with Latham Thomas (MamaGlow)
- Normalizing the conversation on reproductive health