Episode 38: Dr. Louann Brizendine on The Female Brain, Hormones and Behavior
This week on The Rose Woman Pod, Neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine discusses the latest science on the Female Brain. The stages of a woman’s life, from birth to menopause and how hormones trigger feelings, behaviors and skills.
Louann Brizendine, M.D. completed her degree in Neurobiology at UC Berkeley, graduated from Yale School of Medicine and did her internship and residency at Harvard Medical School. She has also served on both the faculties of Harvard University and University of California at San Francisco. She founded the Women’s Mood and Hormone Clinic at UCSF. Her NY Times best seller: “The Female Brain” and its follow-up, “The Male Brain continue to be read around the world. Now as the Benioff endowed professor of clinical psychiatry at UCSF, Dr. Brizendine, continues to mentor, speak, write, consult with start-up companies and see patients.
Her upcoming book The Upgrade: How the Female Brain Remakes Itself for the Better in the Second Half of Life” will be published in April 2022.
In this episode, we cover:
- Louann’s upcoming new book “The Upgrade: How the Female Brain Remakes Itself for the Better in the Second Half of Life”
- Infantile Puberty
- Learn about the functions of hormones like Ghrelin, Leptin, Estrogen, Oxytocin (and many more) and what it does on female and male behavior
- Bioidentical hormones
- Is there a way to track hormones?
- The transition to menopause
- Experiences of both women and men in hormonal change in different stages
- The Female Brain Movie (2017) - Romantic-comedy film based on The Female Brain book by Dr. Louann Brizendine
- The Women’s Health Initiative - (WHI) is a long-term national health study funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, or NHLBI
- Find Rosebud Woman on Instagram as @rosebudwoman and Christine on Instagram as @the.rose.woman