Episode #82: Social Agreements and Lived Experiences With Artists with Diana Schmertz and Fay Ku
In today's episode, we speak to two astounding artists, Diana Schmertz and Fay Ku. Their artworks will be featured in Sensing Woman 2022 an upcoming week-long benefit for the Center of Reproductive Rights and Center for Intimacy Justice in Chelsea, New York.
Diana Schmertz moved to Amsterdam after completing her BFA from Purchase College at the age of 19, to start her art career as a recipient of De Ateliers 63’ grant and residency program. In addition to showing her work at traditional galleries and museum spaces, Schmertz has made public art supported by grants.
Fay Ku is a Taiwan-born, New York City-based artist whose work is figurative, narrative and connects with past and present cultural histories. She is the recipient of a 2007 Louis Comfort Tiffany Grant and 2009 New York Foundation for the Arts fellowship grant. She has exhibited both nationally and internationally.
Tune in to hear about their inspirations in creating beautiful pieces with thought provoking statements.
In this episode, we cover:
Part 1 (Diana Schmertz)
- Diana as an Art activist: Political views and women’s health
- Journey to Artmaking
- The beginning of Laser cut artworks: E, Alternates and Origin Stories
- Statements reflected in her art
- The commercial side of art
Part 2 (Fay Ku)
- Thoughts on the female experience
- Shunga inspired artworks
- Feeling and healing with artworks
- Characters and nature relationship in her art
- The Peacock Motif and the Nasty Women series explained
- Deciding on having children and statistics
- Vainglory and Reach artworks explained
- Diana Schmertz - Check out her artworks for sale at the Sensing Woman 2022 and her upcoming shows. Follow her on Instagram @dianaschmertz.
- Fay Ku - Check out her artworks for sale at the Sensing Woman 2022. Follow her on Instagram @fay.ku and Facebook @fay.ku.art
- Episode #81: Ancestors and Descendants: Weaving and Sculpting the throughline with Artists Alexandra Rutsch-Brock and Traci Johnson
- We would like to invite you to Sensing Woman 2022, a week-long event that will be held from the 27th of September to the 1st of October at the C24 Gallery in Chelsea, New York City. We will be bringing together groundbreaking artists, provocative speakers, and celebratory experiences with a mission to accelerate equality and liberation for women. This event is founded by Rosebud Woman’s Christine Marie Mason, and with WoArt’s Founder Christina Massey, curator for this event.
- ‘Sensing Woman’ Celebrates The Future Of Being Female With Art, Storytelling And Music, article from Forbes.com
- Benefit Party: Opening the Portal with V: 9/27/2022. Join us for a once-in-a-lifetime evening with the creator of the Vagina Monologues, playwright, author and activist Eve Ensler. Buy your tickets here.
- Sensual Activation with Lizzy Jeff, happening on 30th of September evening at the Sensing Woman 2022. Buy your tickets here.
- View the complete list of Presenters, Artists, Schedule and Artworks for Sale in Sensing Woman 2022.
- Find Rosebud Woman on Instagram as @rosebudwoman, Christine on Instagram as @the.rose.woman, and on Tiktok as @therosewoman108.
Listen, Like, Share & Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Youtube